April 23, 2007

Day 2 of the Spot Tour

Bailey continues with some star reporting. I am so proud of what she is doing. Below are two more entries. Be sure and read them and if you see Bailey tell her "good job, good writing."


It struck me today that David told such a great story that I think was autobiographical. Now maybe I am analyzing it way too much but...

Today one of David's stories was about the boy who painted pictures with his song. Like all the folk tales/fairy tales/stories that David performs there is something so rich to be learned and come away with. I have to admit that I have become teary on occasion. His stories are VERY funny and sometimes scary (yes, scary) and always moving.

The story was about a boy who was given a very wonderful gift. He felt bad that he was just a kid and that he had nothing to give the people in his country who needed help. He then disovered that he had a gift to create beautiful pictures in the sky with the song he sang. I sat there just visualizing the boy and his dad and the castle and the woman with small children that he tripped on in the dark, when it hit me. David was creating these beautiful images in my imagination, not at all unlike painting pictures in the sky.

Lots of age groups today and all seemed to be enthralled. It must be hard to tell a story that can cross the age differences. One of the most delightful were the littlest kids who were captiviated and immediately started to participate in the story. I have to unlearn some of my adult inhibitions. It can be quite a burden. The kids were just free and easy in joining in.

Oh yea, the other thing is how David takes an old fairy tale with its castle turrets and sewer moats and fantastic animals and real people in undefined olden days and transforms them into modern day characters with modern gestures. It really grabs the kids. Sweet.

Ron

No comments: