April 30, 2007

Day 9 on the Spot tour--Marshalltown

We are fam-i-ly. I got all my family and me. We are fam-i-ly.
Without the music you don't get the full effect when David ends one of his stories with everyone clapping and singing the Sister Sledge song "We are family." But it is so effective.

What I was thinking about yesterday really was manifest today with David and Daniel doing their thing at the Training Center and the preschool at St. Pauls in Marshalltown. The group was 28 kids and 65 adults and all were delighted with David and Daniel. David told the stories in an informal mix of Spanish and English that made it all so inclusive, so rich.

All along the way on the Spot tours, the richness of the mix of backgrounds and culture has been so evident whether it is age-old Iowa stories or the newer residents' addition to the mix, it has been a great sharing of family stories and home country traditions. Over and over again we are made aware of how we each add something worthy to the experience. Indeed, we are family. I think I really now understand Family Values.

The last stop in Marshalltown was at Fake Space which creates virtual reality. It hit me how that is what David does in his storytelling--low tech virtual reality. He takes us into new worlds and gives us all the visual and audio needed to create a reality outside of the existing one.

Ron

No comments: